We trace our roots
All the way back to 1805, when Pernod was born. 1932 saw the creation of Ricard - and the two families joined forces in 1975.
With sales forces in 73 countries and distribution in more than 160, Pernod Ricard now spans the globe. Our international presence is the living embodiment of nearly 50 years of growth through convivialité, and now our transformation into a responsible, sustainable company fit for the future.
Scroll down to find out more about our story.
1970s – 1990s
Pernod-Ricard is born
The merger of Pernod and Ricard brings together two French anise-based spirits.
Acquisition of leading Irish whiskey producer Irish Distillers, owner of Jameson.
Acquisition of Orlando Wyndham, makers of Jacob’s Creek.
Creation of joint venture between Pernod Ricard and the Cuban rum company, Cuba Ron, to market and sell Havana Club.
- 2001: Acquisition of Seagram including Chivas Regal, The Glenlivet, Royal Salute and Martell.
- 2005: Pernod Ricard becomes world #2 wine and spirits organisation with the acquisition of Allied Domecq and brands such as Mumm, Perrier-Jouët, Ballantine's, Malibu and Beefeater.
- 2007: Became the first global wine and spirits group to introduce the pregnancy warning label to all products throughout Europe.
- 2008: Acquisition of Vin & Sprit – owner of Absolut Vodka.
Launch of Responsib’All Day, Pernod Ricard’s annual social engagement volunteer event for the group’s entire workforce.
As the Institut Océanographique Paul Ricard celebrates its 50th anniversary, Pernod-Ricard commits to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Meanwhile the company acquires super-premium gin Monkey 47.
Acquisition of majority stakes in high-end bourbon producer Smooth Ambler and Del Maguey Single Village, the #1 mezcal in the United States.
Nomination of Pernod Ricard as a member company of Global Compact LEAD. Pernod-Ricard joins the New Plastics Economy, led by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.
Good Times from a Good Place
Launch of a new 2030 Sustainability & Responsibility roadmap, “Good Times from a Good Place.” Acquisitions of super-premium brands Malfy and Rabbit Hole Whiskey, plus Castle Brands (Jefferson’s) and Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co, owner of the super-premium TX Whiskey.
2020 - present
- 2020: Announcement of our commitment to ban all single-use plastic at point of sale by 2021.
- 2021: Introduction of a “no minors” symbol on all bottles marketed by the group. Inauguration of The Island, the Group’s flagship in Paris, which brings together all its Paris-based affiliates and 1,000 employees.